Clinical Research Fellow in Motor Neuron Disease

Vacancy Reference Number
Closing Date
10 Aug 2022
28808 - 56077
John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, OX3 9DU NDCN
Until July 31st 2025

The Nuffield Department of Clinical Neurosciences seeks an enthusiastic Clinical Research Fellow for the opportunity to develop their expertise in Motor Neurone Disease (MND, also known as Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, ALS, and the related disorder frontotemporal dementia, FTD) through their engagement with an established internationally-leading programme of neuroscience research led by Dr Alexander Thompson, Professor Martin Turner and Professor Kevin Talbot. The post would be particularly suitable for those wishing to undertake a DPhil in neurodegeneration research, and the post-holder will receive training in all aspects of MND patient assessment and care.

The post-holder will work within a program of research to investigate biochemical changes occurring in asymptomatic carriers of a hexanucleotide repeat expansion (HRE) of C9orf72, the most common genetic cause of the neurodegenerative disease amyotrophic laterals sclerosis (ALS).  Specifically, we will use high-depth proteomic analysis of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) from asymptomatic gene carriers and patients with ALS to identify presymptomatic changes that indicate cellular dysfunction that predates the onset of neurodegeneration, thereby enhancing our understanding of the early biochemical changes in ALS and providing potential markers to predict the onset of neurodegeneration and biochemical measures of target engagement in clinical trials.

For this role it is essential that you hold a medical degree and full GMC registration, have sufficient specialist knowledge in neurology to work with MND patients and carers, balancing the sensitivity around palliative care with the confidence to enthuse patients about the value of clinical research participation and can evidence of ability to communicate effectively orally and write concisely, coherently and logically. It would be desirable to have current or previous Good Clinical Practice (GCP or equivalent) certification as well as some previous experience of original research.

Further Information 

Find more information and where to apply here.