PhD Studentship within the School of Psychology

Closing Date
16 May 2021
University of Plymouth
3 years

Project Details

Research in the School covers a wide range of topics in areas such as cognition, learning, memory, developmental, emotion, health, clinical, decision making, social psychology, and neuroscience. A list of available projects can be found here: Candidates are strongly encouraged to discuss their proposal/plans with their intended supervisor(s), prior to writing their proposal and submitting an application. The School can only consider proposals in areas in which we have expertise to supervise a topic.

The studentship is supported for 3 years and includes full Home tuition fees plus a stipend starting at £15,609 per annum. The studentship will only fully fund those applicants who are eligible for Home fees with relevant qualifications. Applicants normally required to cover overseas fees will have to cover the difference between the Home and the overseas tuition fee rates.

Person Criteria

Applicants should have (at least) an upper second class or first class honours degree in an appropriate subject and preferably a relevant MSc or MRes qualification.

How to Apply

Follow the link Please mark the application for the attention of the Doctoral College and clearly state that you are applying for a PhD studentship within the School of Psychology. Please note: You will need to submit a CV, transcripts/certificates, details of two academic referees, and a research proposal (1000 words) with your application. Your research proposal should contain a short review of relevant literature, research questions/hypotheses, overview of methods, and a time plan (all included in the word count; max. 1000 words). The proposal should also name the suggested supervisor(s) and include a reference list (not included in the word count).                      

Contact Details

Informal inquiries about projects and supervisors may be sent to Dr Patricia Kanngiesser, Postgraduate tutor ( For inquiries about the admission process, please contact the Doctoral College (